Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Simple Life.

Hey y'all,

I was at mass the other day (meaning Monday), and the priest spoke to us about John the Baptist living "the simple life". He was perfectly fine with doing his thing, and living in Jesus' shadow a little bit. And this message got me thinking, "how many of us are content with living in someone else's shadow?" Not too many, I wouldn't think. In our society, it's very much stressed that we be the big shots all the time In our society, it's very much stressed that we be the big shots all the time, and be our own person. I know I'm like this quite a bit, I want to be the person that makes things happen, who wants to change the world. But you know, maybe, and I'm learning this slowly, I need to start with right where I am, and go from there. This is a bit of a spiritual post (if you hadn't already figured that out), because my faith puts me at ease, and makes it easier for me to be who I am. And maybe let someone else have the spotlight, every now and then. 
  
So anyway, living simply. How do we go about this? I mean, we could just get rid of everything that we own, and live like hobos, but are we ready for this? Most likely not. But we could start with giving things away that we don't use anymore, and trying to downsize a little bit. I know this has been my goal for quite a while now, and I'm still working on it. I have a little paper on my dresser mirror that says "If it doesn't nourish your soul, then get rid of it." Now that might be a little dramatic, but I'm still trying to abide by it. And I can't help but think of Gilmore Girls, and Emily Gilmore saying, "I should get rid of it if it doesn't bring me joy." Now, the person who advised her turned out to be a kook, but still. doesn't that sound like a good way to live? Within reason, we can't get rid of taxes and bills, but shouldn't everything that surrounds us give us joy? Just something to think about. I'm one of those weird people who wants to have all of her belongings fit in a backpack, but yet doesn't want to stop shopping.  
  
Remember how I was talking about just taking problems one step at a time. Well, there is a prayer that resonates with me, and I'm going to share it here. It's called the Serenity Prayer, and hopefully it'll help y'all like it helps me.  




  
  
  
 Peace out, 
Len 😎 

No comments:

Post a Comment