Friday, September 15, 2017

Next question: What do I with CAP?

I'm going to guess that this is the next question that people ask. I'll admit, when I got here I was like, "what is a food pantry case worker?" "What does that entail?" Well the short answer is that I help people get food when they don't have enough. If you want the more detailed answer, read on...





Still here? Okay awesome! In reward for your patience and reading on, you'll have the opportunity to see an incredible picture at the end of this post, excitement! 

Anyway, working in a food pantry is hard work. It's a blast, due to my fabulous co-workers, and the volunteers who come in to help, who have become like family. There's Mary (my supervisor), Sherri (Mary's boss), Carolyn (my manager), Brad, Eddie, Kay, Lily, Frank, Brandon, Gwen, Carolyn, and Amanda. They help to make everyday a little more bearable, and keep me laughing, because we're all goofballs. Kay came back after not being in for a few weeks, and gave everyone hugs, including us, who she'd only met once. That's what I love about being here: people aren't so reserved, they show affection.

On the other end of things, working with a a pallet-jack, moving crates or totes around constantly, unloading and repackaging things, it is hard work. But, I've also learned about teamwork, and not being afraid to ask for help when I need it. And hey, I'll have big muscles again by the end of this CAP year! At least I hope. 😋

The best part for me is of course shopping with our participants, and hearing their stories. I try to make it fun as best I can, and seeing a smile on a participant that is down on their luck is honestly the best feeling. Sometimes it is hard to find a silver lining in some situations, but I certainly try my best. 

So there's a look into my life as a food pantry caseworker, I hope you enjoyed. 😊

Have courage, and be kind to everyone,
Len 😎

Here's some inspiration from my neighbors at Rockcastle
 And, here's the incredible picture I promised before. I even googled "incredible picture", so you know that it's legitimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment